We are currently looking for people to join our officer team next semester! The roles we are looking to fill are the Marketing Chair and the Event Planning Chair! If you are interested, please apply by 11:59pm this Friday, April 6th! We will be conducting interviews April 9-13th!
Click here to apply.
The Women in STEAM LLC applications open today, March 9th, and close Tuesday, May 1st!
To apply, visit MyHousing and follow the instructions below:
- Click on the “visit the University login page” at the top of the page.
- Login using your UT Dallas NetID credentials.
- Once you have logged in, you will find links in the top orange header. Click on “STEAM Application” to open the Women in STEAM LLC application.
- Remember that you will have to submit each page so you cannot edit the information on a page once you have submitted it.
Applications are now open and they will be accepting applications until Tuesday, May 1st! They will announce the accepted students on May 15th.
- The University of Texas at Dallas is currently the leading university on a national level to promote Transforming Undergraduate Engineering Education (TUEE) and is working towards implementing the program in Fall 2016. This program is an opportunity for undergraduates to interact with companies directly, networking and allowing students to work on real life projects during their undergraduate education with the sponsorship and support of companies. Additional information on TUEE:http://tuee.asee.org/
We are currently looking for three WWC members who would like to represent our organization and take on one of the following leading roles:
1. Corporate relations: ambassador between the student organization and the companies. In charge of recruiting and event planning. Direct link to the project sponsors.
2. Student recruitment & engagement: help with mentoring, hackatons, involvement in community colleges and high schools.
3. Diversity inclusion: recruiting, events, networking focused on minority groups.
The three representatives will be in charge of building and developing the early stages of this program. Therefore, we are looking for people with a light workload who will be accountable for their responsibilities. Volunteers must be enrolled at UTD for the full academic year 2016-2017. Graduating Seniors are not eligible.
If you are interested in any of these roles or have any questions, let us know in the comment section or feel free to email us.
Other Things to Take Note Of:
- Check out the Microsoft Student Partner Program: https://msdn.microsoft.com/microsoftstudentpartners
- WWC will be participating in the Springapalooza “Fun”raiser this Thursday in the SU Mall from 11:30am-3pm! Please support us by stopping by! We’ll be selling an assortment of cupcakes/brownies, cinnamon rolls, and we’ll be hosting a fun guessing game.
The Grace Hopper Celebration of Women in Computing (GHC) is a yearly conference with presentations, talks, networking opportunities, and a huge career fair. It’s a great opportunity to be inspired about the technology field. This year the conference will be held at the George R. Brown Convention Center in Houston with approximately 15,000 attendees, from October 19-21, 2016. The good news is, the UTD CS department will be sponsoring a group of students to attend the event! In order to be considered, you MUST apply for a scholarship through GHC here: http://ghc.anitaborg.org/2016-student-academ…/scholarships/…. The deadline to apply is March 30th.
Make sure to stay up to date with our events this semester! Here are some upcoming dates. Hope to see you there 🙂
- Our next General meeting is Wednesday, February 24th at 7PM in ECSS 3.503. We are happy to have a guest speaker from the Wellness Center.Pizza will be served. If you haven’t been to one of our meetings yet, please come out and see us and meet fellow members!
- WWC will be volunteering at the Trinity River Levee Run on Saturday March 5th
from 10:30AM to 2:30PM. If you are interested in helping us out, please sign up at: http://www.signupgenius.com/go/30e0b4ba4ab2ea1fe3-trinity
- Also save the date for Friday, February 19th as there will be a very cooldance put on by the ECS organizations as a way to celebrate E-Week!
We have a few sign-up opportunities for National Engineers Week (E-Week) at UTD!
1) We still need 15 more volunteers from WWC and SWE for the open house event with Fidelity on 2/20. Sign up here if you’re interested:https://docs.google.com/…/1hGtvg4m-AkQO-hCNIZfAOs…/viewform…
2) We also need general volunteers for other parts of the open house (9:30-2:30pm on 2/20). There is a REQUIRED 15 minute orientation during 2/11 from 5:30-7:30pm or 2/12 from 2-4pm time slots. Pizza is included at the training! If interested, please email email@example.com with your name, major, and which training you’re able to go to in order to get signed up.
3) Volunteers are also needed to help high school students put together Arduino robot motor car kits when they visit February 16th, 17th, and 18th. Experience is a plus but not necessary! There are two sessions every day and they’ll need 8 volunteers at every session (from 9-10:30am and 12:45-2:15pm). If interested, please sign up here: http://doodle.com/poll/9n72e2is3dqhqqyg
Our next event will be a special Computers and Coffee event, co-hosted with SWE, next week on Wednesday, January 27th at 7:00PM in Galaxy Room B featuring Bank of America. You won’t want to miss this amazing chance to network in a fun, relaxed setting. Plus there’s food and giveaways!
Here are other upcoming events:
- Michigan State University is having a hackathon on February 26-28, calledSpartaHack. If you’re interested, you can apply online at https://spartahack.com/ They intend to offer travel reimbursement, and all food and entertainment there is free!
- The Women’s Center is hosting Girl Day, aka Introduce a Girl To Engineering Day on Thursday February 25, 10AM-2PM. Greeters, activity leaders and more are needed. If you are interested in helping out, please fill out the form here: http://tinyurl.com/GirlDay2016
- We will be having a volunteering event later this semester, as well as a Speed Mentoring event where employees of local computing/engineering companies will come to give career advice & network. Look for more information on these!